Thread Cutting Screws – For Plastic and Other Low Density Materials
Another Shakeproof invention, the thread cutting screws utilize an off-center shank slot to provide a true cutting action. There are several types depending on the application.
- Eliminates the need for a separate tapping operation
- Generates a perfectly formed mating thread providing a stronger joint
- Reusable with continuous performance
- Thread cutting feature can be designed into other screws
- Type 1- recommended for steel parts having a thickness less than half of the screw diameter.
- Type 23- have a wider shank slot and are recommended for use in cast iron and soft metals such as zinc and aluminum castings.
- Type 25- combines a wide thread cutting shank slot and acute cutting edge with spaced threads for a low drive to strip ratio and is best for thermoset plastic.
- Type 17- drills its own hole and cuts close mating threads in wood, light plastics, and particle board.